From domestic properties to commercial businesses, we provide a wide range of high quality electrical solutions and installations. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about smart home automation.
What are the most important considerations for smart home automation?
There are a number of considerations to take into account when adding smart systems and smart home automation to your property. These considerations include:
- Choosing the right smart home automation options
- Security for your smart devices and hubs
- Professional installation
Choosing the right smart home automation options
When getting started with new smart home systems and choices, there is a lot to take in. One of the most important things to get right is the smart home automation option. There are two options to choose from:
- Service provider solutions- service provider solutions offer a central hub for your smart devices to connect to and be controlled from. This can include smart TV’s, fridges and washing machines, as well as lights and security systems. There will usually be a subscription fee for this on a monthly or annual basis.
- Individual smart home devices- individual smart home devices or smart lighting can also be an option. Some of these may connect to a smart hub, but some will not be compatible. Different brands tend to support only their own products, at detriment to the consumer. Because of this, you could end up with multiple apps for many different smart home devices, with no easy way to control them all.
The option you choose will be best determined by the smart home devices you want. If you want a full smart home, service provider solutions can be very beneficial for your ease of control, and for security reasons too. However, if you just want smart lighting, or a couple of smart devices for your convenience, then you could consider choosing the individual options as this will not be too overwhelming to control.
Security for your smart devices and hubs
Security should always be an important factor when considering smart home solutions. Cyber security is not often something you will think much about, unless this is your area of expertise. However, when devices are connected to the internet via WiFi, they can be at risk of detection and interception. Hard wired smart home devices are always the safest, but where this is not possible you should always be sure to have the highest level of security activated through the app or controls.
Professional installations for smart home automation
Finally, it is important to consider hiring a professional to install your smart home automation systems. A professional team of electrical experts, like us here at Powerhouse, can ensure that your devices are installed safely and securely and in line with standards and regulations. For some smart home systems that rely on the mains, and need to be connected to your existing circuits, it will be necessary to ensure that the circuit load is acceptable, and some small aspects of rewiring may even be necessary. By hiring a professional you will have the peace of mind that any issues will be identified quickly and effectively and that your smart home solutions will be safe and up to standard.
We can install a wide range of smart home and automation equipment here at Powerhouse. This includes thermostats, smoke detectors, doorbells, and smart security cameras to help keep your home safe and up to date. You can also be sure of great customer service, and professional installation when you choose our team at Powerhouse. So why not get in touch today?