Here at Powerhouse, we are the UK’s leading electrical experts. From domestic properties to commercial businesses, we offer top quality electrical installation, maintenance and repair services. This includes PAT testing. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the importance of professional PAT testing for offices.
What is PAT testing?
PAT testing is the testing of portable electric appliances for safety and security. From visual check overs to reading the electrical current, PAT testing can help identify any potential issues, or help to prove your electric appliances are safe. The type of appliances that will need to be PAT tested include any electrical item that plugs into the mains.
Why is PAT testing necessary?
PAT testing for your office or workplace can be essential for a number of reasons, including:
· Meeting legal requirements- the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 state that it is the responsibility of the employer to make sure that all electrical appliances are safe. PAT testing ensures that your appliances are fit for purpose, and also provides the paperwork that will prove this.
· Identifying invisible issues- some potential electrical hazards and issues can be seen by the naked eye, including frayed cables or loose cable connections. However, without PAT testing, other issues would be completely unnoticed. These may include insulation wear and tear leading to short circuit issues, as well as excessive protective conductor current, or loose connection points.
· Helping with insurance claims- should your office property experience an electrical fire or electrical disaster, it is essential that you can prove that you have taken every precaution to protect against this eventuality, in line with legal requirements. Otherwise your insurance may not pay out to cover the cost of the damage. PAT testing provides evidence that can help you prove your commitment to electrical safety in the workplace.
How often is PAT testing required?
PAT testing is required on a regular basis, but exactly how regular? Well, this depends on the type of electrical appliance.
· 2 years at a minimum- general PAT testing should be implemented at least every 2 years.
· Handheld equipment should be tested every 12 months
· Stationary and IT equipment should be tested every 12 months
· PAT testing should be conducted if an issue becomes noticeable
Choose us here at Powerhouse Electrical
Here at Powerhouse Electrical, we are leading electrical experts. From domestic to commercial electrics, we are the team you can count on. And you should choose us for PAT testing at your office because of the guaranteed high quality of our work. Here at Powerhouse Electrical, we pride ourselves on the quality of our work, and this means that you can be sure of a thorough and well implemented PAT test that leaves no stone unturned. As a result, your property and office staff will be safer, as we can identify issues and resolve these, preventing electric shocks and fires.
For more information or advice about our commercial electrical work, or for professional electrical maintenance for your property, get in touch with the experts today, here at Powerhouse.